Are you ready to dive into the world of entertainment and discover the latest gems hitting your screens? Well, you've come to the right place! We're here to spill the beans on what's cooking in the glorious realms of Netflix, Amazon, and more! From gripping dramas to hilarious comedies, and everything in between, get ready to fill your watchlist with exciting new releases that will keep you glued to your couch. So, grab your snacks, fluff up those pillows, and let's embark on an adventure through the realm of streaming goodness!
What’s Streaming on Netflix?
Has there been a month in the history of Netflix where they haven’t had an excellent lineup of new releases? Well, we’re here to tell you that August is not the month to break that trend!
- Heartstopper S2 (Aug. 3): In this coming-of-age series based on the best-selling graphic novels by Alice Oseman, two teenage boys continue to navigate their new relationship while their friends face unforeseen challenges and try to work out if their friendship could ever become more. With many school events coming up, the gang has a lot to juggle as they journey through the next stages of life, love, and friendship.
- The Lincoln Lawyer S2P2 (Aug. 3): The case continues as Mickey Haller tries to defend a client that his gut and the evidence tell him is guilty. However, soon after learning the victim had other criminal dealings in his past, Mickey's life is also threatened. Despite the danger, Haller mounts the best defense of his career in a trial where the biggest surprise comes after the verdict is in.
- Painkiller S1 (Aug. 10): From the producers of Narcos and In the same vein as the true crime novel Empire of Pain, this drama follows the causes and consequences of America's opioid epidemic. Starring Uzo Aduba, Matthew Broderick, Taylor Kitsch, and more as the perpetrators, victims, and the investigator into the epidemic - see both sides of this messy chapter of America's history.
- Mech Cadets S1 (Aug. 10): In this kids' series, an underdog teen joins a group of young Cadets who’ve been chosen to bond with Robo Mechs from space and defend Earth against alien invaders.
- Heart of Stone (Aug. 11): Intelligence operatives for a shadowy global peacekeeping agency (Gal Gadot and Jamie Dornan) race to stop a hacker from stealing their most valuable and dangerous weapon in this action-packed thriller. Will they beat the clock? Can they trust everyone in their organization? Only time will tell!
- At Home With the Furys S1 (Aug. 16): Tyson Fury, a retired heavyweight boxer, gives audiences a fly-on-the-wall view of the Fury family's inner life in this multi-part documentary series. Explore how Fury's life changes with retirement and embraces family life with his wife, father, and six children.
- My Dad the Bounty Hunter S2 (Aug. 17): This animated series takes "Dad Duty" to new extremes when his two kids accidentally hitch a ride into outer space with their intergalactic bounty hunter father and crash his mission.
- The Monkey King (Aug. 18): Looking for a thrilling family comedy that is both mystical and action-packed? Then look no further! Monkey and his fighting stick embark on an adventure that involves triumphing over 100 demons, an eccentric Dragon King, and Monkey's ultimate adversary—his own ego! Throughout the journey, a spirited young village girl challenges Monkey's self-centered demeanor, teaching him the profound impact even the tiniest pebble can have on the world.
- You Are So Not Invited to My Bat Mitzvah! (Aug. 25): Best friends Stacy and Lydia's dreams of unforgettable bat mitzvahs take a hilarious turn when a popular boy and middle school drama put their friendship and rite of passage at risk. With a star-studded cast including Idina Menzel, Luis Guzman, Adam Sandler, and more from the Sandler crew, prepare for a laughter-filled adaptation of Fiona Rosenbloom's novel.
- Choose Love (Aug. 31): An interactive love story, you say? We're intrigued! Follow Cami Conway as she navigates her career, relationships, and romantic choices. Engaged to Paul, Cami questions if she's missing out on her true passion and the possibility of other loves, like the charming rock star Rex or her first love, Jack. With the power to make choices, viewers explore a range of outcomes, from horrific romantic decisions to great ones, uncovering unexpected twists along the way.
And that’s not all: volume 3 of the Untold documentary series is coming at you! This series delves into gripping stories from the world of sports. In its third volume, the series uncovers intriguing narratives that shed light on extraordinary moments, personalities, and events that have shaped the sports landscape.
- Untold: Jake Paul and the Problem Child (Aug. 1): Explore the captivating journey of Jake Paul, a young kid from Ohio who skyrocketed from social media stardom to become one of the most polarizing figures in sports. Witness how his online success led to tensions with his brother, and how he rebounded from career-threatening controversies to shock skeptics as a formidable boxer. Through gripping interviews with the Paul brothers, their parents, fans, fellow boxers, and skeptics, this film unravels the extraordinary story of Jake Paul's transformation.
- Untold: Johnny Football (Aug. 8): In 2012, Johnny Manziel found himself in the spotlight of college football as an undersized freshman quarterback at Texas A&M. But amid all that newfound fame and glory, Manziel lost his way and, eventually, his chance at an NFL career. Told in a series of interviews with family, coaches, friends, and Manziel himself, this documentary highlights the behind-the-scenes details of a short-lived career.
- Untold: Hall of Shame (Aug. 15): In this documentary series, explore as Victor Conte's notorious journey unfolds, from running BALCO Laboratories to becoming the go-to supplier of illegal performance-enhancing drugs. Interviews with former associates, including athletes like Marion Jones and Tim Montgomery, along with anti-doping and IRS authorities, provide harrowing testimony of the biggest doping scandal in sports history.
- Untold: Swamp Kings (Aug. 22): In this documentary series, witness the extraordinary rise of the Florida Gators in college football from 2005 to 2010. Led by head coach Urban Meyer, the team's legendary victories and unrelenting drama unfold through interviews with Meyer and notable players like Tim Tebow. Archival footage showcases the Gators' transformation from underdogs to two-time BCS National Champions, providing a riveting play-by-play of their blistering wins and losses.
What’s Streaming on Hulu?
Get ready for true crime and fake crime alike in this month’s Hulu releases!
- Demons and Saviors (Aug. 3): In this documentary film, a team of amateur detectives investigate the case of Christina Boyer, a woman who was convicted of murdering her three-year-old daughter after the public speculated she had telekinetic abilities. Is she guilty, or was there a conspiracy behind her case?
- Only Murders in the Building S3 (Aug. 8): The hit Hulu series is back with another homicide and more delicious celebrity costars (Meryl Streep and Paul Rudd, anyone?)! Steve Martin, Martin Short, and Selena Gomez, three strangers bonded by their love of true crime podcasts, record their own podcast to accompany their investigations into the numerous murders in their building on the Upper West Side of New York.
- Miguel Wants to Fight (Aug. 16): A coming-of-age comedy in a neighborhood where fighting is stitched into the fabric of everyday life, 17-year-old Miguel has never found himself in one. However, when a combination of events (including moving to a new city) turns his life upside down, Miguel and his friends enter into a series of misadventures to try to get Migel his first fight.
- Vacation Friends 2 (Aug. 25): In this uproarious comedy sequel to "Vacation Friends," Marcus and Emily, now married, invite their wild best friends Ron and Kyla, also married with a baby, on an all-expenses-paid trip to a Caribbean resort. However, chaos ensues when Kyla's recently released father unexpectedly shows up, disrupting Marcus' plans and turning the vacation into comedic mayhem. Starring John Cena and Steve Buscemi, get ready for hilarious misadventures and unexpected twists.
- A Murder at the End of the World (Aug. 29): Gen Z detective Darby Hart takes center stage as a tech-savvy amateur sleuth. Invited to a retreat by a reclusive billionaire, Darby and eight other guests find themselves in a remote and breathtaking location. When a fellow guest is discovered dead, Darby must utilize her unique skills to uncover the truth and expose the murder amidst a web of conflicting interests, racing against time to prevent another life from being taken.
What’s Streaming on Amazon Prime and Freevee?
Are you looking for a delicious romantic comedy to dive into this month? Amazon has got your back on that.
- The Lost Flowers of Alice Hart (Aug. 4): When her parents die in a mysterious fire, and she's sent to live on a flower farm with her grandmother, Alice Hart finds that her life doesn't look at all like it used to…but change isn't always a bad thing.
- Red, White, and Royal Blue (Aug. 11): Based on the best-selling novel by Casey McQuiston, this film centers around the president's son and Britain's Prince whose long-running feud threatens U.S. and British relations. When the pair are forced to stage a truce as a last-ditch PR strategy, their icy relationship begins to thaw and turns into something neither of them expected.
- Harlan Coben’s Shelter (Aug. 18): Based on the book by Harlan Coben, this series follows Mickey Bolitar as he adjusts to life in a new city and a new school after the death of his father and the rehabilitation of his mother.
- Puppy Love (Aug. 18): There's nothing like dogs to bring two people together. After matching on a mobile app, Nicole (Lucy Hale) and Max (Grant Gustin) go on a disastrous first date. They vow to lose each other's numbers and never mention it again…but an incident with their canine companions forces them to spend more time together than either of them was counting on.
What’s Streaming on Other Platforms?
Obviously, there are so many streaming platforms out there, and they all release so much amazing content it’s impossible to mention it all – but we’re going to try!
- Mixtape (Aug. 1) - Streaming on Paramount+: In this documentary featuring famous hip-hop artists like Lil' Wayne, 2 Chains, and DJ Khalid, explore a world before radio play, the internet, and social media when The Mixtape was king. DJs were the tastemakers and trendsetters of the hip-hop music industry, and mixtapes were a form of currency and a signifier to everyone that you were in the know. Discover hip-hop roots and how it became what it is today.
- Star Wars: Young Jedi Adventures (Aug. 2) - Streaming on Disney+: Get ready to go back to Jedi school! Jedi apprentices learn the ideals of the Force, travel the cosmos, and develop the necessary skills to become powerful and just Jedi Knights.
- Physical S3 (Aug. 2) - Streaming on Apple TV+: In case you missed seasons 1 and 2, this series starring Rose Byrne as Sheila Rubin follows a tormented housewife in 1980s San Diego and her transformative personal journey as she discovered aerobics! If you're still nostalgic for your 80s life, then you need to check this one out!
- Eva the Owlet (Aug. 4) - Streaming on Apple TV+: Join Eva (a creative and cheeky owlet) and her best friend Lucy as they explore their woodland homeland of Treetopington!
- High School Musical: The Musical S4 (Aug. 9) - Streaming on Disney+: It's the final season of this hit Disney series! The Wildcats return to East High to prepare for a new school year and a new musical - until unexpected news changes everything.
- Reinventing Elvis: The ‘68 Comeback (Aug. 15) - Streaming on Paramount+: This new documentary tells the behind-the-scenes story of how Elvis' 1968 Comeback Special came to be and helped put the fading star back on the map! Focusing on Elvis himself and the legendary director Steve Binder, explore how Presley took his career back into his own hands to create a smashing hit and put himself back in the center of the public's adoration.
- Snoopy Presents: One-of-a-Kind Marcie (Aug. 18) - Streaming on Apple TV+: Charlie Brown, Snoopy, Linus, Sally, and all of your favorite Peanuts friends are back in the 50th Peanuts TV special based on the comic strip by Charles M. Schulz! If you're looking for a family-friendly, feel-good time - then mark your calendars for this one!
- Star Wars: Ahsoka (Aug. 23) - Streaming on Disney+: It's George Lucas's world, and we're just living in it - doesn't it feel that way sometimes? In this installment of the Star Wars universe, former Jedi Knight Ahsoka (Rosario Dawson) investigates a new threat to the galaxy. But that's not all! This film is also starring Hayden Christensen and David Tennant!
- Invasion S2 (Aug. 23) - Streaming On Apple TV+: If science fiction is your thing, then you need to catch up on Season 1 of this series before Season 2 comes out! Earth is visited by an alien species that threatens humanity’s existence. Events unfold in real-time through the eyes of five ordinary people across the globe as they struggle to make sense of the chaos unraveling around them.
And there you have it! We've traveled through the vast landscape of streaming services and uncovered a treasure trove of upcoming content. Whether you're a fan of mind-bending thrillers, heartwarming rom-coms, or epic fantasy sagas, the streaming world has got your back. The future of entertainment is at your fingertips, and with a little bit of popcorn and a lot of enthusiasm, you're all set to make the most of it. But if your entertainment center could use an upgrade, we’ve got all of the televisions and audio systems that you could need! Stop in or contact us today.